We’ve got the best noses in the business
Odour measurement requires the human nose as tester. This means that one of the biggest challenges is getting valid test results with high repeatability. And the solution? The accurate selection, training and monitoring of the noses in question!
How can we help?
We’ve got top-level expertise in sensory analysis techniques. Our seven odour measurement laboratories are distributed across Europe and India, and are located very close to international airports (Amsterdam, Barcelona, Hamburg, Heathrow, Manchester and Goa). So wherever you are in the world, you can send us your odour samples and we’ll sniff them out without delay.
The processes, methods and target parameters of sensory analysis are diverse, and include:
- accredited odour concentration analysis (ouE/m3) according to EN 13725 (European olfactometry standard)
- hedonic tone and odour intensity measurement according to VDI 3882 (international standard for determination of odour intensity and hedonic tone) and VDA 270 (Determination of the Odour Behaviour of Materials used in the Internal Fittings of Vehicles)
- perceived odour intensity Π (pi) measurement according to ISO 16000-28 (Indoor air – Determination of odour emissions from building products using test chambers)
- odour character and acceptance measurement
- odour quality determinations
- odour threshold determination of pure substances and odour mixtures
- determination of odour polarity profiles
- certification of the sensory acuity of human assessors and regulatory personnel according to EN 13725
- assessment of the longevity of odorants and aromas/decay curves
- assessment of masking quality
- calculation of odour reduction rate
- cross-tests of product variants.
Need to know more?
Odournet ensures the best possible sensory analysis results by combining standardised measurement – for traceable and reproducible results – with individualised sampling to achieve conditions that are as ‘real’ as possible.
We are also highly skilled in the development of individual sample preparation and sampling strategies, which are tailor-made to the product or material to be tested.
Our advanced sampling infrastructure includes:
- certified nalophan gas sample bags
- standard chambers with and without air flow
- CLIMPAQ (Chamber for Laboratory Investigations of Materials, Pollution and Air Quality) climate chambers
- twin room facility, to explore indoor behaviours of products and for comparative testing of products
- LiGaVa system, to vaporise any kind of liquid into the gas phase in order to understand the vapour phase’s perception and properties
- sampling devices, test benches and hygiene boxes.
We can also develop bespoke testing procedures on request. Please contact Rita Ribau Domingues to talk through your requirements.